When returning to your caravan holiday home after a prolonged period, we advise that you follow these steps to minimise the chances of any malfunction and to safely clear the plumbing before use.
- Open your caravan windows to fully ventilate your caravan.
- After turning on your boiler, run all taps – hot and cold – for a minimum of two minutes.
- Close the toilet seat and flush the toilet twice.
- Remove your shower head and place in a jug of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Run the shower hot and cold for at least two minutes.
- Run any dishwasher and/or washing machines through a full cycle before using them.
- Run any external taps for a minimum of two minutes – removing any attachments such as hose pipes first.
- Turn on devices one at a time, slowly. This avoids overloading the electrical system.
- We recommend that you descale your kettle.
- Check the dates on any food you may have left in your caravan.
- Check the batteries in the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in your caravan.
- You may need to purge your gas. Run your gas hob until it lights to clear any air out of the pipes.
We hope that these following steps helps to make returning to your caravan holiday home in the Lake District a pleasant one. We look forward to seeing you soon.